The Layout tab lets you choose between two grid display modes (Tabular and Tree) and to set the Totals position in the grid.
In Tabular mode, dimensions in rows are displayed in separated columns.
In Tree mode, dimensions in rows are displayed within the same column, one above/below the other.
Notes on the Tree mode:
- Expand/Collapse functionality is available directly on the row headers thanks to +/- icons.
- The option "Show Totals on first row" is enabled by default in this mode and can be disabled from the same panel.
- Applying formatting on a row will apply for that row only and not for the underlying ones.
The "Densify headers" option is particularly useful in order to save space when a Table's View contains Metrics that share different sets of Dimensions. Here is what it does:
- With the option switched off, the Table's View will display the Dimensions one after the other, showing a Total header in case the Dimension selected in the Configure panel is not defined on the Metric
- With the option switched on, the Table's View will try to make the row headers as compact as possible, fitting them on the same column. For instance, if your Table contains four Dimensions but each Metric needs only two, the Table layout will only display two row headers instead of four.
Caveat: with the option switched on, there are a few cases when swapping two Dimensions in the Configure panel will be ineffective. This happens when there is no better way to accommodate the layout given the other Dimensions in the Table's View. If you do need those Dimensions swapped, switch the option off.